Maple Leaf Test Rides

The continuing saga of test riding a Supercycle SC1800 (Canadian Tire product # 71-1556)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

km 339.51

Second thoughts on the BB thing. Though the bearings are binding a bit, it feels OK after a bit of mileage. Can't really expect it to be perfect, as the finished parts were probably manufactured for less than a dollar to the factory's cost. Absolutley gotta overhaul it again, maybe at the 600km mark.

Realizing the weight distribution of the rider is less than ideal, as it puts most of it on the saddle. This creates a relatively upright position, compared to other mountainbikes I've ridden. Nice for traffic and easy on the neck, but the tushie gets sore after more than an hour in the saddle, and it takes an out of the saddle effort to get weight on front wheel traction.

All in all, I've saved 68 (based on an average of 5km/ride) trips on the transit at $2 a ride, putting $138 back in my pocket (expressed as an opportunity cost) over the 6 weeks I've been riding it. It has been especially nice for running errands, as transit would ding me for a ticket every time I hop on or hop off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home